Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day Ride 2008

For the last several years I have had the opportunity to exercise my freedom in life and enjoy a ride on my bike. Without the sacrifices of others during wars and peacekeeping duties around the world, I would not be able to enjoy this pursuit of mine.


It is with the greatest of respect that I go on my Remembrance day rides and observe a moment of silence to pay my respect to those that have sacrificed their lives to ensure my freedom and the freedom of others in this great country of ours.

Today's ride was on my Rune at The Woodlot. I made my way up to Tsuga and stopped at one point to talk with Lou and a buddy of his doing some much needed maintenance on The Gate. I then enjoyed a spin down Tsuga and then on to Snakes and Ladders.

Given the amount of rain we have had lately and the number of riders braving the elements on the trail, some wet spots have appeared on Snakes. Hopefully next weekend I will be able to repair most of soft spots that are rearing their ugly face on Snakes.

There is one section that has me perplexed as to what to do. Suddenly an underground spring has started spewing water out of the transition of a jump. Because of this about 20 feet of trail are now a wet soupy muddy mess. Last year this section was slightly damp with one muddy spot that was fixed, but this spring is now sending a small river down the line in an area of trail that will prove to be very tricky to repair.

On a positive note, the trough that we put in on the weekend is working perfectly and today you could hear the water pouring out of our drain and off the trail. It was really satisfying to see this drain working according to plan.

No comments: