Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ripping a new one

I decided that today was going to be a mid afternoon solo ride to the Woodlot on the Ollie. I have not ridden that bike in a while and I figured it was time to dust her off and see how she handled again.

Single ring 8" of cush front and rear, 2.5" tires.........mmmmm DH speed!!!

The climb was pretty easy. With only a 34t front ring I was able to climb a good portion of the hill, but not all the way by any means. However I am in noticeably good shape right now. I can pedal or push at a good pace (at least for me) without skipping a beat and without any pauses at any point in the climb. I would say I am in likely the best shape of my life...cardio wise.

As I approached the branch in the trail off to Tsuga I met up with a guy that I am sure I have run into before but had not formally met. We chatted for a bit and then started making our way down the trail. I lead the way as I not going to be pausing anywhere on the trails until I got to Snakes and Ladders. Once rolling I cruised down Tsuga and over to Snakes and Ladders. The big bike really makes picking a line easy and results in a fast, fast ride.

Once down at the building spot on Snakes and Ladders, I hid my bike, got the tools and started working on extending the work Tim and I had done more than a week ago. The rain that we had during the last week really helped to get the new cut line settled. The trail was hard and draining well.

I was able to do about another 20 feet or so of trail and then called it a day. The next corner will really need some extra work and backing to make it big enough and flow with the trail. This last corner will be the final bit of work to cap a perfect new extension on the trail. If we build it right, you rail it, pin it and you'll end up with a nice little surprise.

The ride out to Shotgun was nice, the Ollie pedals really well for the size of bike it really is. Then as I coasted down to the entrance of Shotgun I finally did what I have been trying to do for a while....completely stay off the brakes and rail the turn into the trail. A little bit of front end washing out, but I was able to drift my bike a little in the turn and made it in without any brakes. Big smiles.

Shotgun was fun. Fast and flowy.

At the very bottom of the trail just past the gap over the log, I saw some kids that were playing airsoft. One of them pointed his gun at me as I passed by because he thought I was one of his friends and............well I don't take very well to having a gun, real or not pointed at me. I stopped and informed them rather loudly that pointing a gun real or not, at people is illegal and all it takes is one phone call. I told them to go further in the bush well away from the trail and all would be good as they were shooting across a very busy mountain bike trail. They were wise and complied to my.......wishes and walked into the bush. Lets just say that a few months in Regina kinda influenced the tone of voice that was used with them.

I then rode out to my car, packed up and drove home.

Good ride, good build and a little yelling.

No comments: