Saturday, September 04, 2004

Morning Spin

It had been a while since I've gone for an early morning ride (I mean ride and no building). The plan was simple, Brad and I were to hit the Woodlot at 6:30am and just ride all morning. In the end, I would say that we did a pretty good job of executing the plan.

We started at 6:30am due to the fact that the sun is starting to rise much later in the morning. If we had started at our regular time of 6:00am, we would have been riding in total darkness on the way up. I had brought a Froe with me that my dad had fixed so I decided to hike it up the hill to Snakes. Climbing with a big metal Froe is a PITA but we really need this tool to make the beautiful rung we are now getting famous for. So after I made my way back up to the road after ducking down to Snakes and Ladders to stash the Froe, Brad and I continued our hike to the top. For some reason this morning I had no zip, no gusto to get up the hill. It was like my feet were dragging on the ground but Brad was the opposite, he was just hauling butt up the hill. I know that you expend allot more energy when you pedal up the hill rather than sit on your bike and climb, but I always find it easier on the body to pedal than to walk. Therefore I was trying to pedal as much as possible on the way up (it was made a little easier due to the fact I was on my hardtail).

When we arrived at the parking area the weather was overcast but not raining at all. The weather forecast was calling for showers on and off during the day. So by the time we made it to the power lines and mad the turn up the hill, it had started to rain very lightly. The light rain was actually very refreshing so it didn't hamper our spirits at all. We decided that the route was going to be Gold, to Blood Donor, to Giant Killer to Snakes and Ladders then finish with Shotgun. Once we got to the tree line where Gold starts, we armored up and started on the wet slippery skinnies. I think most riders will agree with me when I say that wet log rides that are in places only maybe 6 inches wide just aren't the best way to start a ride. I like the trail, but Gold has not seen any maintenance in years and is in need of some luvin. There are several spots that could do with new rung and or a full makeover. I guess in time we will see when the builders get to this classic trail. Never the less I had an okay run down Gold and by the time I made it down to the last set of log rides/skinnies, I was on my game completely and rode them perfectly. It was a slightly different story for Brad though. It had been many weeks since he last rode at the Woodlot so he was having trouble finding his groove and was admittedly off his game. I really felt for the guy as at times he was really getting tossed around on the trail.

So then it was Blood Donor. I had a pretty sweet rip down this trail hitting everything but the drop into the pit as I was on my hardtail (I am not quite at the point of comfort for doing a drop like this on my hardtail). I have really grown to like this trail and the only bad thing about it is that it is now too fast, it just flows too quickly from top to bottom.

On to Giant Killer. For me it is much like Blood Donor. Fun, fast and flowy. I just decided that I would skip the bigger drop at the bottom and the gap jump. Both stunts skipped due to the bike. I love riding the hardtail and never feel bad about skipping something because I am on it I just don't feel as confident doing the larger stunts on the hardtail.

We then made our way to Snakes and Ladders. The upper part of the trail is just ripping right now and I like the new drop to ladder that we put in. It is definitely something that can be taken at a wide range of speeds to either give you a big drop or just a little plop off the rock. We ripped all the way down to the 2nd rock face where I decided to try the alternate left outside line down the rock. The exposure off the side is just freaky, but as long as you maintain your line it is for me the most fun line down the rock.

We then finished the ride with a good rip down Shotgun. It is really surprising how well this trail holds up to the traffic as I would say that 90% of the people that ride here go down this trail to end the day. She is a little muddy at the bottom, but apart from that, it is a great trail to finish off a ride.